Steve Johnson Biography
- 2015 - Quarter-finalist Auckland ATP, Quarter-finalist Memphis ATP, Quarter-finalist Delray Beach ATP
- 2014 - Le Gosier Challenger Champion, Semi-finalist Delray Beach ATP, Dallas Challenger Champion, Quarter-finalist Auckland ATP, Quarter-finalist Halle ATP, Quarter-finalist Newport ATP, Quarter-finalist Washington ATP, Quatrter-finalist Tokyo ATP
- 2013 - Quarter-finalist San Jose ATP, Nottingham Challenger Champion
- 2012 - Aptos Challenger Champion
- 4-Time Team NCAA Champion at University of Southern California (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- 2-Time NCAA Singles Champion (2011, 2012)
- Campbell/ITA National College Player of the Year (2011, 2012)
- Pac-12 Men's Player of the Year (2011, 2012)
- #1 Ranked Player in College Tennis (2011, 2012)
- 72 Match Winning Streak in College Tennis (Singles)
- 7-Time Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) All-American
While Steve Johnson may be new to the professional tennis scene, he has been a standout athlete on the courts since the early age of two. Johnson learned the game from his father and coach, playing at the family’s tennis club in San Clemente, Calif. With the love of tennis in his blood, it is no surprise Johnson would eventually become one of the most decorated tennis players in college history.
Johnson’s successes began during his time at Orange High School, where he won the CIF Singles Championships in 2006 and 2007 and was named Orange County’s and Los Angeles’ Player of the Year for both seasons. In Johnson’s senior year, he won the 2008 Southern California Sectional Boys 18 Championship and nine Gold Balls.
Johnson went on to accept a full scholarship to the University of Southern California, where he played a critical role in leading the team to four consecutive NCAA Championships from 2009 to 2012. During his junior and senior years at USC, he claimed the NCAA Singles title and finished his college career with a 72-match winning streak. In 2011 and 2012 he was also awarded the prestigious Campbell/ ITA National College Player of the Year title, and the Pac-12 Men’s Player of the Year title. Johnson personally accrued seven ITA All American awards during his years at USC.
With his resilience and strength, it is apparent that Steve Johnson’s success will continue as he takes on the ATP World Tour and looks to follow in the footsteps of his idols, Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras. He will be competing at this year’s US Open in New York.
Winner of Tennis Magazine's Editor's Choice award for "Best Game Day Shoe," the ASICS GEL-Solution Speed 2 tennis shoe improves on its predecessor in key ways: it keeps the same low-profile sole geometry and agility, yet features a more flared lateral forefoot for added stability.
during the 2012 US Open
Steve Johnson talks the US Open, his hopes for his tennis career with ASICS, and gets some sweet ASICS gear at the NY ASICS Store!